Saturday, June 26, 2010

a successful experiment in mexican cuisine

Tonight, since my husband was gone, I decided to start my journey to learn the art of Mexican cuisine with my wonderful guide, Rick Bayless. This was one of the things I decided to do over the summer while I have more time and energy to experiment in the kitchen. And since they say you love cook what you love to eat, I figured I had better start cooking what I like to eat, which is Mexican of course, in the hopes that maybe this would help me like cooking more. Last night I chose the cookbook, Mexican Everyday, and today I began the journey. The inaugural voyage was fresh tomatillo salsa with spinach and goat cheese soft tacos (double wrapped, of course, in corn tortillas purchased hot and fresh from my Mexican market). I have to say, it was truly amazing. I was disappointed that Barrett couldn't be there to eat it with me, but this way I could cook it just the way I like it without worrying about screwing it up. The recipes were super simple and easy to follow. Good, clear writing is so necessary in a cookbook so I really appreciate it when recipes are well written and easy to follow with just enough information and in the perfect order. In fact, I have gotten a little snobby about the quality of writing in my cookbooks, but as an English teacher, I think I am entitled to that. (Jamie Oliver also writes excellent recipes. His Food Revolution cookbook is amazingly well put together. It rocked my world.)


For the salsa, all you have to do is throw some tomatillos (quartered) in a blender with a jalapeno, lots of cilantro (because it makes the world a better place), some garlic, salt, and a little water. The result is citrus-y and summery and wonderful. (And yes, the spoon is there in the photo because I was eating it by the spoonful. oops. )

The tacos were really simple too. Cook some sliced onion is a little olive oil. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Then cook the spinach (or swiss chard) in the same pan with some chicken broth. Serve in tortillas with goat cheese sprinkled on top.

I am so glad to know that I do not have to go out and pay someone else to have a really amazing Mexican meal. Thank you, Rick!

No comments:

Post a Comment