Tuesday, June 15, 2010

hair

Today I got a much needed haircut and feel totally refreshed. This reminded me of a hysterical scene in David Copperfield that I would love to share. Background: David and his friend Traddles are going to see his beloved Dora in an effort to convince Dora's aunts, her guardians, that David should be able to court her.

"Excellent fellow as I knew Traddles to be, and warmly attached to him as I was, I could not help wishing, on that delicate occasion, that he had never contracted the habit of brushing his hair so very upright. It gave him a surprised look--not to say a hearth-broomy kind of expression--which, my apprehensions whispered, might be fatal to us.

"I took the liberty of mentioning it to Traddles, as we were walking to Putney; and saying that if he would smooth it down a little--

"'My dear Copperfield,' said Traddles, lifting off his hat, and rubbing his hair in all kinds of ways, 'nothing would give me greater pleasure. But it won't.'

"'Won't be smoothed down?' said I.

"'No,' said Traddles. 'Nothing will induce it. If I was to carry a half-hundred-weight upon it, all the way to Putney, it would be up again the moment the weight the moment the weight was taken off. You have no idea what obstinate hair mine is, Copperfield. I am a fretful porcupine.'

"I was a little disappointed, I must confess, but thoroughly charmed by his good-nature too. I told him how I esteemed his good-nature; and said that his hair must have taken all the obstinacy out of his character, for he had none."

No comments:

Post a Comment