Monday, June 7, 2010

It's all in the details. . .

I am not a detail person, but the older that I get, the more I realize that life is all about the details--well, not all of life but at least a chunk of it. This weekend Barrett and I had the pleasure of attending a beautiful wedding of a dear family friend of the Freemans. Knowing this family and especially the sweet bride, I knew this wedding was going to be one for the history books, and needless to say, I had been looking forward to it for quite some time. And, yes, it lived up to and surpassed all my wildest expectations. Everything that made this wedding so spectacular was in the subtlety and detail. While the beauty of this event in many ways defies the powers of language, I will highlight a few of my favorite details.

First, everyone in the wedding party wore white including white dinner jackets for the guys--so classy. Even the bride's incredibly cute nieces and nephews ran down the aisle in all white.
The getaway car was a vintage white convertible, and all of the cans (tied with white satin ribbon) were monogrammed the couple's initials. As a big fan of monograms, I have to say I was delighted with this little touch.

The reception was in this beautiful, old, historic hotel in downtown Paris, Texas. The family has been working on the renovations, and the space is simply amazing. There was marble, mosaic tiles, old plaster, antique silver, and a crystal chandelier. It was Ralph Lauren meets the Great Gatsby.

There were tons of beautiful white flowers, and all of them were different and unique containers adding so much charm to the evening. Many of them were old pieces of silver belonging to the family.



For most people, being relegated to the kids' table is a bad thing, but here, the bride set apart a miniature table with mix-matched chairs for all of her little nieces and nephews. Can you say darling?

Another really fun part of this wedding for me was that I got to break out my own wedding dress. Since I wore my grandmother's wedding dress for the ceremony, I got a little party dress for my reception. With a little change of jewelry and a wrap, it was perfect for the event too. Who says you only wear your wedding dress once?


My favorite detail of the night was the keys. . . Each guest was given his table number on card tied with a satin ribbon on an old key. The keys were kept in the old hotel cupboard for room keys.


There were so many other precious details like the white umbrellas passed to the ladies as a sun shade as they walked from the church to the reception and the photo-booth in the old hotel elevator. But what really made this wedding (and any wedding) special is celebrating the marriage of a couple that loves one another and the obvious joy that their families share with them.

Congratulations Alix and Walker! Beautiful wedding! I hope your marriage continues to be filled with beautiful, little details.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this glorious event with me (well, all of us in cyberspace). Details are a beautiful thing. Especially in the right hands! One of my favorite pics is the one of you and Barrett in your wedding reception dress! Perfect! You look beautiful and charming.

    ReplyDelete