Monday, June 21, 2010

my happy place


On Saturday night, I went to my happy place--the Mecca of Tex-Mex--Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth. Like many others in the Lone Star state, Mexican food holds a very special place in my heart, but without being facetious, chips and salsa really do speak to my soul. As for Joe T.'s, it not only has an amazing atmosphere, outstanding food, but I also associate with very happy memories.

In high school, my best friend and I took special trips to Fort Worth for this special treat, and in college, we always made a special trip to Fort Worth on the way home from the airport whenever she came home from school. Now when I am least expecting it, Barrett will say, "You know what sounds good for dinner? Joe T's." And we will make a date night out of our trek to Fort Worth. So Fun.

The best time of year to enjoy Joe T.'s is in the early summer. Their extensive and beautiful grounds complete with pools, fountains, and all things magical make the atmosphere one of a kind. With a margarita and a fan, even the 100 degree temperature feels good.

The magic of Joe T's even extends to waiting in line. There is almost always a line, and it is usually really long--I am talking Space Mountain in the summer long. But I don't think I have ever waited more than 20 or 30 minutes. In fact. most of the time, we are seated in 10-15 minutes. The past 2 times we have gone, we have arrived and joined the back of a really long line. When that is the case, Barrett drops me off to get a place and he parks the car. But on these occasions before Barrett has joined me in line, one of the hostesses will come up to me, ask how many are in my party, and seat me within 5 minutes. It feels a little wrong to pass all of those people still waiting when I just arrived at the back of the line, but I never ask questions.

But the real reason we go to Joe T. Garcia's is the food. There is no dinner menu because they only offer 2 items: fajitas and enchiladas. (And if you have been to Joe T.'s and had the fajitas, you have never really been to Joe T.'s.) The enchiladas are where it is at! The enchilada dinner is served in courses: nachos first (simple cheese and jalapeno), then beef tacos (fried to a greasy perfection), and last but not least, enchiladas, rice, beans, and guacamole. I always tell people that the sauce at Joe T.'s is magical, but this time we found out that this is kind of true. Our waiter told us that every night, Joe T himself goes into that back and mixes up the batch of sauce for the next night. The recipe for this amazing sauce is so secret that no one is allowed in or out while he is making it. And did I mention the margaritas? They are the best in the metroplex, for sure.

It is just nice to have a place that retains some of the magic of childhood and where everything seems good and right with the world--and where the enchiladas are a spiritual experience.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear Emily. Only you could write this much about Mexican food - and be so intense about it. Love it. Love you. Mommasita Rabbit

    ReplyDelete