Tuesday, September 27, 2011

the news

For a long time I considered how I was going to deliver some big news to my students. This is what I came up with. The response was surprised even me.

I started by telling the class that we desperately needed to review subjects and predicates because they did not do so hot hot on a quiz (which was true). So I told them I would write a few sentences on the board for us to practice. Then I wrote on the board:

"Today Mrs. Freeman told us that she was pregnant."

I moved to the side, waited a moment or two, then I saw their minds start to turn.

"Mrs. Freeman, are you trying to tell us something?!"

"Yes" was my reply.

At this point I expected about 3-5 minutes worth of excitement (mostly from the female side) and a few questions about how this would effect their lives.

Instead, I was bombarded 45 minutes worth of excitement from every angle of the classroom and one million questions. When is the baby due? How many months are you? Can we visit you in the hospital? Can we come to your house? Can you feel it moving? It is a boy or a girl? What are you going to name it? Are you excited? Is Mr. Freeman excited? How long have you known? Who else knows? Why aren't you going to find out if it is a boy or girl? Are we going to have a sub? Who will be our sub? Can it be someone nice? Does that mean we won't have any homework? Can we come to your baby shower? This is only a sample of the barrage I received.

But the prize comment of the whole day was: "I thought your stomach was getting round, but I just thought you weren't working out. Seriously, I saw you in the skirt yesterday, and it did not used to fit like that."

"Thanks!"

Seriously though, the excitement of my students over my expected little one rivaled that of our mothers, and that is saying something. I was so blessed by all of their comments and concerns and quandaries, and it helps to know that I have a group of kids that is so excited for their teacher. They even came up with some plans for me to bring in a play pen, strap the baby on, and keep teaching.

Since then, they love to comment on my growing stomach and give me name suggestions. Today's suggestion was Ro'Neesha. They have nicknamed the baby "Baby Freeman" (some even call it Morgan Freeman). Who knew a bunch of adolescents could be so sweet?

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes...
    Except the Ro'Neesha part. Smile.
    Overflowing with excitement, Mother Rabbit AKA Grandma Bunny.

    ReplyDelete