Monday, March 28, 2011

kindred spirits

"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world." --Anne of Green Gables

The seventh grade girls are reading Anne of Green Gables in their Friday afternoon tea and have graciously invited me to join them over the past few weeks. I feel like I have been re-introduced to an old friend from my childhood. I read many of L. M. Montgomery's books and watched the TV miniseries, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea, more times than was probably healthy. When Anne of Green Gables aired on PBS a few weeks ago, I made it my grading movie for the weekend and cherished every minute.

Over the course of being reacquainted with this wonderful literary character, I was reminded of many childhood memories. Anne is a very romantic and imaginative young woman. Her passion allows her to feel deeply and form intimate, lifelong friendships with "kindred spirits." It was so fun to talk about these passages/ideas with the seventh grade girls as they are just beginning to build those friendships. As a kid, I remember having a deep sense for what a "kindred spirit" was, and that is a person with whom you share a deep connection so much so that there are times when you do not see to say or explain anything at all. I am so thankful that God has provided me with several kindred spirits throughout my life, and I am even more thankful that I can still call them my kindred spirits today.
If you have not read or watched these precious books/movies in the recent past and want to remember the innocent angst of adolescence, then I highly recommend an afternoon with a kindred spirit and Anne Shirley.

3 comments:

  1. Good memories Emily! You were really my first kindred spirit...an early discovery at age four. I love keeping up with you through your blog. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you as I wrote this, kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mother Rabbit remembers that at age 6 you actually defined kindergarten as a "garden of kindred spirits"... (amazing)
    And you definitely understood, like Anne Shirley, what a kindred spirit was. Your kindred friendships have lasted longer than Anne & Diana's!

    ReplyDelete