Monday, August 23, 2010

surviving mrs. freeman




In order to cut through the frequent melodramatic complaining, I often tell my students that my favorite hobby is to make their lives miserable and that it has taken me many years to perfect my craft. Seventh graders believe me at first, but the eighth graders think it is funny.

I have worked long and hard to develop a reputation as a tough teacher. Some may think I am heartless, but I would submit that those are the ones that have spent little to no time in a classroom setting. I learned very quickly that in order to maintain order there must be a real authority structure and high expectations. Authority is from God and under a Biblical worldview, submission is a good and even chivalrous virtue. As believers we submit to God's law so we must learn to do the same in the classroom. And high expectations call the children up; I ask them to be their best because I respect them and believe that they have enormous potential. All of this can be achieved with many hours of homework, several just and creative punishments, lots of mean teacher looks, and countless hours of talking and listening.

Recently, I received what some would consider an insult, but I consider a great professional accomplishment. One of my former students said of me to another student about his fast approaching high school career: "I mean I survived Mrs. Freeman so I should be okay (barely survived :P)"

With that said, I am kind of looking forward to getting my mean pants on again, brushing up on my mean teacher look, and assigning lots of homework.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, so what is this Doris Day/Clark Gable movie I've never seen? Please share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this sweet post to teacher Deb Clark and middle school student extraordinaire, Marisa Clark. Love it. They did too. Deb says very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ellen, the movie is Teacher's Pet, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it. But now I have to!

    ReplyDelete