Sunday, July 25, 2010

sweet land


Ok, this summer Barrett and I have watched A LOT of movies, and I have not done a very good job of keeping up with my recommendations. But here is an attempt to get back on track. Last night we rented the movie Sweet Land, and as the title implies, it was very sweet.

The movie is about a Norwegian farmer in Minnesota and his German mail-order bride. Inge, the bride, does not have the right paperwork so the couple cannot be married right away. Olaf, the would-be-husband, is a very quiet man, but he tries to help Inge integrate into this small Lutheran community as best as he can. While Olaf is very upright, the couple faces persecution for cohabiting even though Olaf sleeps in the barn and for Inge's German heritage. After dealing with a difficult harvest and the town's scrutiny, Olaf and Inge grow an intense bond, and eventually the town comes around them, gets Inge the paperwork, and they are married.

What I loved about the movie: First, the actors playing Olaf and Inge are tremendous. They truly carried the film, and they had fabulous chemistry. I also loved that the movie was very clean (rated PG for goodness sake). Even though Olaf and Inge develop some serious sexual tension, the most we ever see on screen is holding hands. I love when movie makers can deliver all the intensity without the skin. And, of course, I loved the setting. The Midwest is a wonderful place.

What didn't work for me: The movie opens with some scenes from the present and more recent past that include Olaf and Inge's grandchildren. While this is a good idea in theory, it was very confusing, disjointed, and felt forced. I was also not a big fan of the casting choice of Alan Cumming as Olaf's friend. I do not believe him as a Minnesotan farmer for one second. Lastly, I really did not like the portrayal of the Lutheran minister. While he had some good lines, he was the most closed-minded and least loving person in the film. I am so sick of movies portraying Christians as the bad guys and the church as the problem with society. I would love to introduce the writer/director to the Lutheran minister at my mom's church in Oakland, Pastor Mark, because then they could have seen how wonderful and kindhearted real Lutheran ministers are.

Overall, Sweet Land is a sweet romance with a few problems. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment