Friday, July 23, 2010

a room with a view

I just finished reading A Room with a View. While most of the book was just alright, the ending (last 50-75 pages) was fabulous! Lucy Honeychurch, the main character who officially has the sweetest name in all of English literature, struggles with growing up and deciding where she should follow convention and where she should take a few risks. Without giving too much away, I loved seeing Lucy finally live a little at the end, defy convention, and take a risk or two.

Like Lucy, I recently returned from a wonderful trip where I also had a room with a view, but mine was in Wisconsin and not Florence, Italy. But for those of you who were wondering, Lake Geneva is absolutely breathtaking, that is for sure. I just love the Midwest in the summer.

Our view of the Lake and the amazing home we stayed in

And like Lucy, on my trip I was reminded of the fun it can be to reawaken one's sense of adventure. On her trip, Lucy had trouble getting her head out of her guidebook and actually exploring the real Italy. Thanks to my really fun family, I was not allowed to make Lucy's mistake. I had the pleasure of being with all of my sisters and step-sisters and my sweet little niece Bella along with my mom, step-dad, and our wonderful host, Tia Nancy. (It was a house-ful.) We spent our days in Lake Geneva enjoying all kinds of fun on the water. And whenever I started to slip into cautious teacher mode, my sisters were quick to shake me out of it. They would start calling me Ann Taylor (which I refuse to see as an insult) and take me on a crazy jet ski ride or try to throw me off tubing. But I also realized that it is most fun to let loose around people that you love and are totally comfortable with. Because what else are you going to do when you pants fall off when you are thrown off the tube? It is truly rejuvenating to be with family when you can let go of all inhibitions. I am so thankful for such fun sisters who are willing to do anything and take me along for the ride. Thanks for the reminder that a life lived in fear is a life half lived!
Me, Hannah, and Kiley--love you, ladies!
Tubing with Abby
Hannah getting ready to scare the pants off of me on the jet ski

No comments:

Post a Comment