Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Top Eleven American History Movies

Class 8 eating hardtack while watching Glory.

As a history teacher and movie buff, I am always looking for great films to show the kids about whatever period of American history we are currently in. Because a top TEN list wouldn't cut it, here is my top ELEVEN list of working titles so far in chronological order. I am sure as the years pass, I will add some more, and I always appreciate suggestions.

1. The New World (Colonial): Directed by Terrence Malik, this movie is slow but beautiful. He captures the beauty and roughness of the wilderness that was the new world. The movie tells the story of Pocahontas and John Smith. While the acting is very good, those scenes are less compelling and appropriate for middle schoolers who are already chalk full of hormones. The scenes of early Jamestown, however, and the Indian village are amazing. And they also capture the contrast between new America and established England when Pocahontas travels to see the King. The cinematography in those scenes is breathtaking.

2. John Adams (Revolutionary War): This recent mini series release by HBO is amazing. The script, production quality, and acting are stunning. I love the scenes when Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams are fine tuning the wording of the Declaration of Independence and the silence that hovers over Independence Hall when the delegates finally sign it. There is a palpable sense that what just happened was very important. It also captures the characters, culture, and obstacles of the founding of our nation really well.

3. The Civil War: This documentary is Ken Burns' best work. I have contemplated not even teaching the Civil War and just showing this 10 hour documentary in its place. I learn something new every time I watch it.

4. Glory (Civil War): Glory tells the story of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, one of the first African American regiments. I love the way this movie uses actual letters written by Robert Shaw as the voice over narration. And the acting is superb. I mean Denzel--need I say more.

5. The Cameraman (Silent Film): This is truly my favorite movie to show my students. They always complain before seeing it: Is it really silent? I don't even like black and white movies; This is going to be boring? Then I just sit back and listen to them genuinely crack up--I am talking side splitting laughter--through the whole movie. Physical comedy like Buster Keaton does in this movie is timeless and ageless. If you haven't watched a good silent film lately, I highly recommend it.

6. Band of Brothers (World War II): Another awesome HBO miniseries. Unfortunately, most of this one in not appropriate for a middle school audience, but there is a great scene where the American soldiers discover a concentration camp in Germany. It is extremely moving without being over-the-top. It is always hard for me to pick World War II movies; there are just so many and so few that I feel comfortable showing to 13 year-olds. Some that did not make the final cute were: Life is Beautiful (a personal favorite), The Diary of Anne Frank (new PBS version), Letters from Iwo Jima (better than Flags of Our Fathers), and Schindler's List (amazing).

7. Rebel Without a Cause (1950's): This is a great movie that I haven't watched in a while. It deals with the outward prosperity of the 1950s and one teenager's struggle to fit in and deal with what is going on underneath the surface of things. This movie still really resonates with me.

8. Good Night and Good Luck (McCarthyism): Filmed in black and white, this movie captures the widespread fear of the McCarthy era and the courage of a few journalists to face the senator head on. George Clooney directed this movie, and the cinematography is really good.

9. Apollo 13 (1960's): A Spielberg classic and great one for kids.

10. All the President's Men (Watergate): An oldie but a goody. This movie tells the story of the Washington Post journalists who helped uncover the Watergate Scandal. With Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman, this is a classic.

11. Frost/Nixon (Watergate): Frost/Nixon is about Richard Nixon and Watergate, but is also very much about the making of the Frost/Nixon interviews. I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. It is fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. will add some of these to the neflix queue pronto! ten-hut!

    ReplyDelete