Monday, May 10, 2010

Channeling my inner Marianne


One of my favorite movies of all time (definitely in my top three) is Ang Lee's adaptation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslet. The movie is simply beautiful, and my sisters and I mirror the Dashwood girls very closely, to boot. While I am usually an Elinor--typically the oldest, responsible, and full of sense--yesterday I drove by a beautiful patch of wildflowers and channeled my inner Marianne--the passionate middle child full of romantic sensibilities. At one point in the movie, Marianne receives wildflowers "from an obliging field" from her love interest, Willoughby. To which she replies, "I have always preferred wildflowers." Having driven past such an obliging patch of blooms (even though mine were found in rather shady shopping center parking lot), I could not help but agree. So I stopped to pick some. I have so enjoyed these bright lovelies that I think I need to channel my inner Marianne more often.

1 comment:

  1. love it!! I was a total creeper this weekend and was driving around with a big bag and scissors collecting lilac blooms! you are Elinor for sure..I am like Marianne..but with less suitors..a zing to myself.

    ReplyDelete