Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Crack

Today my students asked me what it meant to "fall through the cracks" in response to a video about our school that was recently posted in YouTube. (I will have to do a post about the video and my school because it is really good, but that will have to come another day.) I said, "Well, it is like fall to the bottom of society. To keep someone from falling through the cracks you ensure that they have an ability to rise to the top like Ben Carson. Even though he was from a bad neighborhood, because his mother pushed him and ensured that he got a good education, he was able to become a very famous surgeon; and you got to read his autobiography."

One student quickly replied, "We just need to keep kids away from crack!"

"Yes, in order to keep kids from slipping through the metaphorical cracks, we do need to keep them away from literal crack." They are very quick to catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment