Thursday, January 28, 2010

Motivational Speaker


So I have the privilege of teaching English, history, and algebra to a group of very bright and enthusiastic eighth graders. The range of subjects allows for wonderful opportunities to relate education to so many aspects of life and today offered a particularly just such an opportunity.

We are coming to the close of a rather difficult chapter in algebra (algebraic fractions to be exact). As we were getting into the meat of the lesson and beginning to grapple with tougher problems, the complaining began: "I don't know how to do this", "This is too hard", "This is too much work", "I can't do this problem", and my personal favorite. . . "I don't get it!" and so on and so forth.

"Hold it!" I said. "These are numbers and letters on a sheet of paper. Why are you getting so bent out of shape? These math problems cannot hurt you. Relax, and I will explain it." I proceeded on a rampage explaining that while hard math problems can look frighteningly difficult, in actuality they cannot cause any physical harm. And that no matter what happens, Jesus and I will love you so relax, and use the knowledge that you have to try and figure it out. "Actually. . . You are acting just like General McClellan" I continued. We have been studying the Civil War and today talked about how foolishly worried and simultaneously arrogant McClellan was. Even though he outnumbered the enemy and had better weapons and supplies, he was afraid and hesitated to fight giving the Confederacy time to plan their attack and get reinforcements. This happened time and time again in the early parts of the War, and here, in my classroom, my students were doing the very same thing. "McClellan hesitated and could not see all he had going for him, and he lost. When you let a math problem intimidate you out of trying you are losing! You might as well try because if you don't you will get it wrong anyway." I proceeded to tell them that they are all very bright and that they have a mighty arsenal of intelligence at their advantage so USE IT!

Well, even I was roused by this moving address. At the end of it all and in the spirit of the State of the Union Address, two boys on the back row stood up and clapped. Touche! It was hilarious! Who says that algebraic fractions have nothing to do with the Civil War. Oh well!

(Above is a picture of me with my students at the FDR Memorial in DC.
P.S. The guy looking really cool in teh middle is not a student but our ever beloved bus driver for the trip--Keith.)

1 comment:

  1. Mom, Granny and I just read this and LOVE it! Granny thinks your kids are SO lucky to learn from you! You are molding young minnndsss!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete