Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Bridge Over the River Kwai

A classic World War II pic and a favorite of my dad's, I used to always give my dad a hard time about liking this movie. I am sure that I have seen at least parts of it when I was younger, but it was not until a few weeks ago that I watched the whole thing in its entirety. And my dad was right: Bridge Over the River Kwai is classic.

With stars like Alec Guinness and William Holden, the movie has classic written all over it. But the story of the speaks to the age old struggle for nobility in a time of war. Colonel Nicholson (Guinness) is a British officer in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. After several long fought arguments with the Japanese commander, Nicholson agrees to help the Japanese build a bridge for the newly constructed railroad. The bridge quickly becomes an attempt by Nicholson to demonstrate British efficiency and engineering. Meanwhile, Shears (Holden), an American soldier posing as an officer in hopes of better treatment in prison, escapes only to be asked to return to the camp on a mission to blow up the bridge. Shears' selfishness is a sharp contrast to Nicholson's strong sense of patriotism, honor, and value of the letter of the law. Yet Nicholson's patriotism and valor delude him into helping the enemy; whereas even in Shears' self-serving actions, he sees "the forest for the trees" and stays true to the cause of war. The movie also shows the value and power of hard work toward a common goal.

Bridge Over the River Kwai is long and slow at times but worth watching. I give it 9 out of 10.

1 comment:

  1. I am thrilled to be your first follower!

    I just asked Jay if he knew what this Bridge movie was, and he replied, "Very good, classic, WWII movie, love it...you wouldn't like it"...as if I needed him to add that last bit!

    Loved your very first post, still laughing! :-D

    ReplyDelete