Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hard Tack

Back in November, we took the eighth grade students to Washington DC on an American history trip. One of our many stops this year was the ever-popular Gettysburg. Now, I am fortunate enough to teach in a school where children love to learn, and my students this year love history which fills my heart with joy daily. As we traveled through the town of Gettysburg trudging through battlefields and various museums learning about practically every movement of practically every soldier, the kids began to get a little tired and a little hungry. The result: whining. "What is for lunch?" "Are we going to eat soon?" "What are we doing now?" came the voices from the back of the van. In an attempt to have a little fun, I responded, "No, we are not going to have lunch. Instead, we are going to hike out to the middle of this battlefield and eat hardtack around the campfire just like the soldiers in the Civil War." "Seriously". . . and I awaited the groans. "Cool!"

They were somewhat relieved to know that they were getting a real meal, but sure enough weeks after our return, it came back up. "Mrs. Freeman, do you remember when you said we were going to eat hard tack on the battlefield? We really wanted to do that." "And that is why you are so cool," I said. Sure enough, I found a recipe for hard tack on the Internet later that day.
- 6 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness
- Poke holes in the dough with a fork
- Bake for 1 hour at 325
- Leave out overnight for "authenticity" (read staleness)
So they will get their hard tack.

Now, when I told the seventh graders this, one responded in alarm: "You are giving them a heart attack!" Oh well. . .

I will let you know if they like their Civil War snack.

1 comment:

  1. This is so great!! I love hearing your stories! Blogging sisters unite!

    ReplyDelete