Monday, April 25, 2011

what's in a name?

Recently I got to talking with my students about names--their nicknames, middle names, how they got their names. etc. And I shared with them the following little story: my parents planned on naming me Morgan, and in her excitement my mom announced this to everyone she knew. A few weeks before I was due, a couple in their Sunday school class also had a baby girl. When my mom asked what they had named their little bundle of joy, she was horrified to learn they had stolen her name--Morgan. So they changed my name to Emily Grace which I like much better, for the record. After a few minutes of conversation, one of my students said, "Wait a minute, Mrs. Freeman. Your parents were going to name you Morgan? Then, your name would have been Morgan Freeman!" We burst out laughing.

I think I have a lot in common with this very sophisticated African American man. Can't you see the resemblance?

No comments:

Post a Comment