Tuesday, September 7, 2010

one job, three persons


I have a strong recollection of thinking my first year of teaching that I needed two other people in my classroom full time in order to do my job properly and to its fullest extent. First, I needed a bouncer to manage the discipline and stand next to troublesome children with muscles bulging and face glaring to keep them in line. Second, I needed a secretary to make sure all the papers got passed out, taken up, forms filled out, filed, and turned in properly (and maybe to help out with a little grading). With the help of these two capable yet imaginary individuals, I could do the fun part: teaching! Oh to focus all of my attention on academics. . . (sigh). . .

But I can honestly say after completing four years in the classroom, that I enjoy the "training" aspect of my job because it implies that education is more than books and writing; "education is a life" (one of Charlotte Mason's four pillars of education). By spending the time to teach and train children in every aspect of their lives and behavior, I get to take part in a much more complex and developed picture--the picture of a person growing not just a brain. So yes, I am my own bouncer and I kind of like it. But I could still use a secretary.

1 comment:

  1. emily. we have already discussed this. i am going to be your secretary. yes i know i am currently in the middle of my college career but please we all know its meaningless and my true calling is running errands for school supplies and oh yes my favorite grading. did you know sometimes i use red pens just to make me feel like a teacher? i do no lie. but seriously stop the wanted adds on your blog. THE POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED by me :)
    sincerely,
    margaret dashwood

    ReplyDelete