Monday, March 29, 2010

TRagic Disappointment


One of the things on my list to do in DC was to visit the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial. It was not until I was reading through Frommer's DC guide that I even knew about the Teddy Roosevelt Memorial, but sure enough, he has one. Being my favorite president, I have been looking forward to seeing his memorial for months (because I am dorky like that that these are the things I look forward to). Teddy Roosevelt's Memorial is an island situated on the Potomac set apart as a nature preserve--which TR would have loved-- with nature trails and a large bronze statue of the president in the middle. To visit the island, you can take a little boat or a footbridge. We did not have time to fit this into our schedule this summer so I was determined to make it happen when I had a whole day to myself in DC.

I found my way there and navigated my way to the footbridge. My anticipation was building and I was totally channeling Teddy as I approached. I was so ready to commune with nature and Roosevelt. Sure enough, it was closed--flooding on the Potomac.

Oh well, I will have to save it for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment